Wednesday, March 18, 2009

souljaboy: out of practice?

I have to get this out.

Last night around 11 p.m. (which, mind you, is WAY past my bedtime), I receive a text from someone identifying himself as "Jesse Souljaboy." Apparently some random girl had given him my phone number instead of her real one so that this guy wouldn't be able to contact her. Thanks. Really. The guy didn't seem to understand that I wasn't the girl he had met and he kept questioning why I had given him the wrong number. Um...if I had given you the wrong number, I wouldn't be talking to you! Duh!

The whole debacle got me thinking. I know that I have been out of practice with the whole dating-thing for awhile. I mean, Keith and I started dating when we were 15 and have been married almost five-and-a-half years at this point, but when did it become okay to contact someone for the first time after getting their number by text at 11 p.m. at night during the week? And why would you insist on being called, not just Souljaboy, but Jesse Souljaboy (I was corrected when I mistakenly called him by just Souljaboy during one of my reply texts)? Who would take someone seriously that called themselves that? Come on. My maternal instincts almost wanted to help the kid out and point out all the mistakes he was making as to why he had received the wrong number in the first place. Almost. Like I said, it was way past my bed time.

Am I so out of the loop that this is common place now? Is this really okay?

Mental note: remind Luke texting at close to midnight with a ridiculous nickname is dumb and never recommended if you'd ever like to hear from the girl again.

5 comments:

Stefanie said...

hook me up with this guys number! sounds like a winner to me! also, you can now refer to me as steffi "lady gaga" mathis from now on.

Belinda said...

I agree! This kid must be quite the catch! I think the mommy in you gives you way more patience than I would have. I go to bed early too and if I were being texted like that, I would have called him and yelled at him, and then turned off my phone.

Adri said...

Katie I literally just laughed out loud (LOL if you will) at my desk while reading this. You are too funny...and you are too right! XOXO

Traci Tenkely said...

Even though Luke is not even a year old yet I think you are way ahead of the mom curve! Seriously, you are totally ready for the teenage years already. And no, it is not okay. I have to try to explain these things to my 15 year old lifeguards on a daily basis - sending me an email at 8pm on a Friday night is not going to get your shift covered, texting me the morning of your shift that you're "sick" is not going to cut it. I am scared for our next generation!

Heather said...

Oh my! Although ridiculous,its definitely entertaining, and I'm outta that loop too but pretty sure thats not exactly ok heh :)