Wednesday, November 3, 2010

scary sweet

Warning: You will see a scary amount of pictures of some super cute kids. Read on at your own risk!


Halloween was an interesting event in our home this year. Since before I had any children, I knew that I'd like for their costumes to coordinate. Not necessarily matching, but they obviously went together. I also had it in my head that I wanted to make their costumes as well. There are some super fabulous store-bought costumes out there, but I just didn't want to go that route this year.

I struggled for nearly a month trying to come up with a great idea that I could manage to create on my own that also wouldn't cause my poor children to pass out form heat exhaustion. I made that mistake Luke's first Halloween with his fleece monkey costume. Poor kid sweat like I'd never seen him sweat before. I debated super hero costumes because of Luke's love of the Incredible, but I couldn't think of a way to make that without tights or long sleeves. Every good superhero costume has both of those. My next thought was tree and flower, but the construction of that seemed a tad too ambitious for me. After reading Parents magazine, I finally settled on cookie and milk.

I spent some quality time at Joann's picking out fabric and a few afternoons measuring, cutting, sewing, and hot gluing their costumes together. Reagan's cookie costume could probably pass for a fruit pizza too, but I was happy with the way hers turned out. Simple, easy, and cute. Luke's, on the other hand, was not what I had envisioned. I'll spare you the ugly details and I'm fairly certain there will be no pictures of it found anywhere on this blog. After scrambling at the last minute (like 5:30pm on Halloween), Keith and I decided he'd be a chef instead. I'd made his apron, so I felt like I'd accomplished that part of my initial goal and because he looked like he worked in a kitchen and could have made a cookie, the other part of my goal was reached as well. The best part was that Luke looked way more happy to be a chef instead of the milk anyways.

It's tradition for us to visit Andi on Halloween. She's worked on every Halloween since Luke was born, so we go visit her to help brighten her day. Luke was in his milk costume here, so there will be no pictures of him visiting her. Sorry Andi.


Tom and Gail stopped by to visit and brought the kids some Halloween treats. They were so sweet to do that
  and both kids adore their gifts.

 

I have to admit, Halloween is not my favorite holiday, but we had a great time this year spending it with some wonderful people. Any holiday that involves people you love, is a great one.

No comments: