Sunday, April 24, 2011

easter?

My babies need to know the truth: Keith and I kind of suck at being the Easter Bunny. In fact, Luke and Reagan really have no clue that the Easter Bunny even exists. It was sad today when people asked them what the big guy brought them and Luke just looked at them with this confused stare. I will readily admit that I dropped the ball with Easter this year. Between Disney, Luke's birthday, helping to host an engagement party, Reagan's teeth, and Luke's asthma among other things, I just didn't get to it.

Sure, they both had Easter baskets this morning that they were more than happy to tear through. With the exception of a new small wooden train set in Luke's basket, each basket was filled with things I found around the house at 11pm last night that they didn't know that we had. The plastic eggs were found at the bottom of a basket of toys and neither one noticed that they were mismatched or filled with marshmallows instead of the typical Easter candy. Reagan was lucky enough to be gifted a box of sidewalk chalk that I found buried in the back of our pantry on the top shelf that I'd bought for Luke before princess was even a thought in our minds. And to cap it off, I didn't take any pictures.

And after all that, you know what?

They still had a great time. They didn't know the difference between slightly stale puffs of sugar and jellybeans (sugar is sugar, right?). We still got to attend Mass and celebrate the true reason we observe this holiday. We were able to spend time with family and enjoy each others' company.

In 20 years, Luke and Reagan won't care how much we spent or what they got. What matters most to me today was the experience and they still had an awesome. So even though Easter wasn't exactly what we'd hoped and planned, it was just what we needed.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

AND Luke did go on a sad and silly easter egg hunt with his cousin Killian in their Great Grandparents living room. Wow, we both did great!